Re: A new GitHub organization for web-platform-tests

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 9:18 PM fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 03/29/2018 09:34 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> > Hi web-platform-test pioneers!
> >
> > PLH and I are trying to figure out a way to improve the management and
> handling of the WPT project on GitHub and Travis. As a
> > consequence, I've been looking at a transition plan to move the
> web-platform-tests repo and related repos (at least
> > wptdashboard and wpt-pullresults) to a separate GitHub organization.
> This was occasioned by the Travis capacity problems we're
> > having (we represent around 55% of the w3c jobs on Travis in 2018) and
> ensuring that the people most involved with wpt infra
> > can actually fix that, but there will be no doubt be more things like
> this as WPT as a project becomes more and more critical
> > to everyone's workflows. PLH has been looking at increasing the Travis
> capacity in parallel.
>
> This makes sense to me. WPT has a different collaboration pattern than W3C
> specs do.
>
> > The obvious choice for org name, "wpt", is not available, and attempts
> to reach out to that user have failed. No other
> > 3-character org names come to mind.
>
> You could use more characters? :) w3test is available if you want it.
> (but https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt seems fine to me)

Ms2ger also suggested w-p-t, but if the lengths of URLs change at all, then
certain nuisances like rewrapping comments will happen, which is why I
didn't look very hard for longer org names :)

> One option is that https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests would become
> https://github.com/web-platform-tests/web-platform-tests.
> >
> > That makes the URLs quite a bit longer, so the other option would be to
> also rename the repo to end up with
> https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt.
>
> I prefer shorter and less redundant URLs, personally.

Me too. Under the web-platform-tests org, sounds like wpt is the most
popular repo name suggestion so far.

I hadn't really considered changing *both* the org name and repo name, do
you have a concrete combination that you'd prefer over
https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt?