Re: Tentative tests.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017, 11:40 AM Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
>> wrote:

>>> This doesn't mix with -manual. Not sure if that's a problem, but
>>> dot-delimiting might also be okay?
>>>

>> Sure. `.tentative.*` is fine by me.

>>> (e.g.
>>>
>>> We don't assign meaning to directories elsewhere other than informally
>>> "resources" / "support". At least, as far as I know. I think I'd
>>> prefer just the one convention.
>>

>> I like the directory simply for grouping. If there's a new feature with a
>> lot of tests, the suffixes won't sort together as a collected bunch of
>> tests that folks who haven't hopped on board with the feature should be
>> ignoring.
>>
>> But if I'm the only one who likes that idea, I'm happy to drop it in
>> favor of the simplicity of a single approach.
>>

> I like this idea as well, but am also fine with starting simple and adding
> directory support later based of real world experience.
>
> Glad to see this happen. Thanks for following up.

`.tentative.*` going once... going twice... If there are no fundamental
objections, then I'm going to start landing patches using this convention.
:)

Philip suggested elsewhere that it might be a good idea to ensure that the
tentative test files in some way refer to the discussion that they're in
support of. I could imagine formalizing that as a `<link rel="help"
href="[link to GitHub issue/PR]">`. WDYT?

-mike