Re: Web Platform Tests Pull Request Commenting

On 16/05/17 19:19, Jeff Carpenter wrote:
> I certainly don't want to step on any toes here, but I wanted to throw
> my opinion out there since I see possible opportunities for saving time
> and effort. From my perspective it looks like the project I'm working
> on, WPT Dashboard, and this project have very similar aims:
>
> - WPT Results Consolidator: Collect and display WPT results
> - WPT Dashboard: Run, collect and display WPT results

So, I think that's a simplification of the situation.

The stability dashboard will need to show multiple runs for a specific
test. It will only need to deal with one PR's worth of tests vs the
hundreds of thousands of tests in the entire repository, which vastly
changes the kind of visualization options that are required. It will
need to show additional information like where the PR is synced on
w3c-test.org. It will need to draw attention to anything that blocks the
PR from landing, but won't necessarily need features like search that
are required to work with the full set of results.

I definitely see the appeal of sharing code where it makes sense, but I
wonder if in this case it won't be more effort to try and make one tool
that does everything well vs two tools that do a specific thing well. I
think I would need to see a concrete proposal for how we could build a
single tool here to judge better whether the tradeoffs are worth it.