Re: Web Platform Tests Pull Request Commenting

On 09/05/17 13:45, Tobie Langel wrote:
> Thanks for the write-up Bob.
>
> I'm glad there are now resources to get going on this.
>
> Couple of high-level comments:
>
> 1. Would be nice to see this as a node.js project rather than a python
> one. This is a common request from developers and there is no reason to
> build this in python (it's not going to run on vendor CI
> infrastructure).

FWIW I consider adding node.js to our infrastructure to be increasing
the complexity vs using the same technology as we have for all the other
components. This proposal isn't suggesting using Rust or Haskell or
whatever.

> 2. This proposal seems to conflate handling the to many bot comments
> issue with a desire to move everything to a single code base. This
> should be spelled out and discussed.

FWIW I don't think that moving everything to a single codebase is a
priority. The initial goal here is to expose an API that multiple data
sources can POST to.

> 3. This proposal doesn't seem to address important questions such as how
> to handle merges in dirs where no one has commit access.

That seems out of scope? What would you expect it to do here?

> 4. This proposal seems to ignore the cost of changing the existing bots
> to handle this new infra. While this is rather easy to do for comments,
> it's not going to be that simple for the rest of what wpt-pr-bot (aka
> ganesh) does. I'm not willing to invest the time to do this or to deal
> with the consequences of it. So this will need to be sorted out.

If necessary I am happy to make PRs against ganesh. Insofar as moving to
one codebase for all the data sources is a goal, avoiding this situation
where individuals run bots and we depend on their goodwill to maintain
the bot in their free time, is the motivation.