Re: Specifications with matching test APIs

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Reilly Grant <reillyg@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>>> What's your thoughts on writing tests which could be either manual tests
>>> ("attach a device with the following characteristics, etc..") or automated
>>> tests?
>>>

>> I think this is a good idea. I've seen other tests marked "-manual" which
>> can nonetheless be run in an automated fashion if the right hooks are in
>> place. That would be possible here but the necessary device firmware has
>> not been written.
>>

> Without custom firmware, perhaps some basic tests could be done with
> fairly common / accessible devices? E.g. arduino or other common dev
> boards? Perhaps even just selecting and connecting to a device?

Yes, a subset of the tests only require a device that can be selected and
opened. Due to platform-specific constraints, however, I would rather
produce a single device that works for all tests than attempt to document
the subset of tests that will work on particular platforms with particular
devices.