Re: Verbosity ot wpt-stability-bot

On 30/11/16 19:01, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I asked James about this and he asked me to seek feedback here.
>
> The wpt-stability-bot is amazing, but I wonder if there are any options for
> making it generate less email. On
> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/4250 I did a lot of fixups
> while experimenting, and wpt-stability-bot has posted a total of 18
> comments, obscuring any real discussion.
>
> I think seeing the pass/fail results is useful even if it's stable, so some
> visibility is great. How about it the bot only added one comment, and kept
> updating that with the most recent info?

Done.

Note that using the details element for the results, as has also been
suggested, is non-trivial, because:

  * The GitHub stylesheet breaks the disclosure triangle in
spec-conformant browsers
  * It isn't possible to add inline style attributes
  * It isn't possible to have markdown inside an explicit tag, so the
tables would need to be rewritten using explicit <table>+etc. elements
  * The current code logs exactly the same plaintext to the travis log
and the github comment, using the fact that markdown is more or less
readable as text. Therefore replacing all the markdown with explicit
tags is highly undesirable since human readability of the logs is
essential when PRs are not submitted to w3c/web-platform-tests but a fork.