Re: Thinking of contributing

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 19:40:05 +0100, Chris Ducharme <cgdjmrsp@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am a recent CS grad in training to be a security consultant. It has
> been
> suggested to me that contributing to Test the Web Forward would be a good
> way to get a better understanding of browsers, HTML5, Javascript, the
> DOM,
> etc. I've got the tests to run locally, and I've looked through the
> documentation and at the tests themselves. I have a basic idea of how I
> could proceed, in terms of creating tests, but being that I have no
> experience with javascript or HTML5 (and not really any front-end web
> experience at all), I'm not exactly sure where to start -- ie I don't
> know
> what exactly needs testing (. If anyone could give me some guidance
> here, I
> would greatly appreciate it.

Hello Chris,

Awesome!

Maybe you can start by picking something from
https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/labels/difficulty%3Aeasy

There was some work on estimating test coverage for the HTML spec. I can
only find http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tests-cr-exit/index.html which might
be outdated by now but I don't know where there is something more current.

Otherwise a simple rule is to pick something at random or something that
interests you particularly. Almost everything needs more tests. :-)

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software