Re: WPT lost untracked files in tools

On 01/04/15 05:18, Li, HaoX wrote:
> Hi,
>

> From last week, we all meet an issue when fetch code for
> w3c/web-platform-tests to our old forked repository:
>

> $ git fetch upstream
>
> $ git merge upstream/master
>
> Updating cdd6c0f..ffeb316
>
> error: Updating the following directories would lose untracked files in it:
>
>                 tools
>
> Aborting
>

> But this issue is not met in new forked repository, I notice that we
> have changed the tools  as a sub module.
>
> Don’t I get correct way to fetch the changes, or is it an issue occurs
> by the changes?

Unfortunately git seems to be pretty poor at changing an existing
directory into a submodule, especially when that involves removing some
other submodules.

The simplest solution seems to be to remove all the files related to the
submodules (i.e. do the opposite of git submodule init). The submodule
git repositories are in .git/modules/ these may safely be deleted. Then
thw working copy files need to be deleted; these are the files in tools/
and resources/. After you remove these existing files (backing up any
chnages as needed) you can run

git submodule update --init --resursive

to fetch the up-to-date copy of the files.

I hope that helps and sorry for the inconvenience.

James