RE: webdriver client for web-platform-tests tests automation and webdriver feature testing?

Andreas, thanks for your detailed explanation, could you share more about the spec doc of " ....... the forthcoming WebDriver specification "? where can I find this forthcoming spec's link?  is this related to webdriver supports of Web APPs(not just browser)?

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Tolfsen [mailto:ato@mozilla.com]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 6:49 PM
To: Fan, Yugang
Cc: public-test-infra@w3.org; jgraham@hoppipolla.co.uk
Subject: Re: webdriver client for web-platform-tests tests automation and webdriver feature testing?

Fan, Yugang <yugang.fan@intel.com>:
> I noticed web-platform-tests moved webdriver client to tools folder [
> 1 ].  How about detailed purpose of this webdriver client?
> e.g. is this recommended webdriver client for web tests which can be
> automated by webdriver in future web-platform-tests repo?  Or this
> webdriver client is only for browsers' webdriver feature testing?

The reason I moved it to tools/webdriver is because I believe there's a possibility we might be able to reuse it to automate manual wpt testcases as well.  Though it's currently not possible to write other tests but WebDriver specification tests with it.

Whether writing .py testcases for manual tests is the right way to move forward is another question of great debate.  Allegedly there was a discussion in #whatwg last week about how to reduce the overhead of writing webdriver-backed tests.

The concern is that introducing a new language, a new test harness, and having to write boilerplate code would not have the encouraging effect required as to get people to automate tests.

> Selenium2.0 [ 2 ]  is popular webdriver client, does this mean the
> tests contributors can use selenium2.0 Python binding to automate web
> tests at the same time in web-platform-tests?

Selenium 2.0 is incompatible with the forthcoming WebDriver specification, which the client in tools/webdriver implements an local-end API for, so you can't use any Selenium-WebDriver client to automate tests in wpt.