Re: Simple Proposal for setting HTTP headers

On 23/07/2013 09:45, James Graham wrote:
> Mozilla use a custom HTTP server written in javascript (using
> Mozilla-specific APIs). This is part of the source so no special install
> is required.

I have no intention of installing another server on my system. I will
create the additional files needed for the new approach, but continue to
use a .htaccess file on my local server to check that the tests work
before submission.

> Obviously no one is suggesting using file:// for testing since that has
> quite different semantics from HTTP. It already doesn't work to run even
> static tests over file:// since they depend on /resources/.

It doesn't work when using a localhost server, either, which is
irritating, to be honest. I generate my tests from PHP scripts, so I can
use absolute uris for checking until just before submitting, then
regenerate the tests with /resources URLs. It must be particularly
irritating though if you are just creating flat files, and having to
edit all of them before submission, and I see it as a burden on the test
writer that's not necessary. (Perhaps not a major issue if you are just
creating one or two tests at a time, but I have just created 601 tests
just for the line breaking feature for CSS3 Text, and they all need to
be changed for this.)

RI

--
Richard Ishida, W3C