Syncing upstream changes in testsuites

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Robin Berjon wrote:

>> Assuming that implementors actually want to import and run the tests,
>> there are a number of practical issues that they face. The first is
>> simply that they must sync the external repository with the one in which
>> they keep their tests. That's pretty trivial if you run git and pretty
>> much a headache if you don't. So for most vendors at the moment it's a
>> headache.
>
> Just a silly thought, I may be missing something, but does that sync really
> need to use git? I mean presumably it's a read-only sync that only needs to
> happen once a day or so (it's not a big deal if runs are 24h behind the repo
> I would think). In that case, if git is an issue, one can just grab and
> unpack:
>
>    https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/archive/master.zip

That works iff you don't have any local patches to the testsuite. That
typically won't be the case, almost certainly for testharnessreport.js
which is explicitly intended to be patched, but potentially also for other
files (doubly so if you have a single web-platform-tests repository that
contains both the upstream tests and local tests you have written but not
yet submitted to W3C). The operation you want to run to sync the tests is
a lot more like "git pull --rebase" than "delete and reclone".