Re: getting your tests into browser test framework

From: Chris Weber <chris@lookout.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:13:31 -0800
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "julian.reschke@gmx.de" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "public-test-infra@w3.org" <public-test-infra@w3.org>
Hello, I wanted to send an update on some URL testing that looks at how
a URL gets represented in the Web browser's DOM, comparing that with an
HTTP GET request for the same URL.

Several hundred test cases are running through testharness.js at:

http://www.lookout.net/test/url/

And the source code, test cases, and some description are up at:
https://github.com/cweb/url-testing

I ended up using a wildcard DNS alias, mod_rewrite, and a CGI script to
handle arbitrary domain names, so that [anything].urltest.lookout.net
resolves and gets tested.  This enabled me to test arbitrary domain name
labels (IDN, etc.) and also to capture all incoming HTTP requests on the
server-side so the path and hostname could be recorded, and compared to
how the same URL looks in the browser's DOM.

I copied the urls.json file (500+ test cases) to urls-local.json and
reduced that original set to around 200 test cases that were compatible
with this more specialized testing of DOM + HTTP.

Best regards,
Chris Weber