Re: Browser Automation Working Group at TPAC.

Inline

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
> On 10/26/12 1:16 AM, ext Wilhelm Joys Andersen wrote:
>>
>> * Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>:
>>>
>>> I think that anything that shows people how sexy it is to do testing that
>>> way would be great. I don't know how the plenary day for this will be
>>> organised, but this would be a great topic for a plenary session, or at
>>> least for a breakout.
>>
>> That's a very good idea.
>

> Agree. (FWIW, I would plan to attend such a session. FYI, the list of
> sessions is getting quite long
> <http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2012/SessionIdeas>).

I've added one for WebDriver:

http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2012/SessionIdeas#Understanding_WebDriver

Feel free to edit this entry if it needs tweaking!

>>> In any case, I think there are too many people who don't know what
>>> one can do with Web Driver and it would be really useful to produce
>>> some outreach here.
>>
>> That applies to the working group meeting as well. There will be many
>> new faces at the table, representing new organizations, new use cases,
>> other working groups and new points of view.
>>
>> I suggest the following points for the agenda:
>>
>>   * A basic introduction to WebDriver, answering questions such as:
>>      - What is WebDriver and what can you do with it?
>>      - Why are we writing a spec anyway?
>>      - What is the relation between the spec and the open source project?
>>      - How can WebDriver be used by my other working group?
>>
>>   * The state of the union. Where are we with the spec right now?
>>
>>   * Ask everyone present:
>>      - What is your interest in the spec?
>>      - What problems do you need it to solve?
>>      - How would you and your organization be interested in
>>        participating in the work?
>>
>>   * Discussion of the currently open issues in the spec
>

> Nice list.

We can work that into the existing agenda we have so far. This now looks like:

Monday:
* A basic introduction to WebDriver, answering questions such as:
* The state of the union. Where are we with the spec right now?
* Why is everyone here today? What do we hope to get out of this meeting?
* Discuss queries raised by implementors
* Discussion of the currently open issues in the spec:
  * Interoperability
    (the spec is very loose on this, but interop is vital)
  * Internationalised input
    (do we need the IME methods from OSS webdriver? Our current
solution is very desktop-centric)
  * Possibly adding an ARIA locator
  * Handling the shadow DOM
  * Do we use strings or numbers for status codes
    (there are arguments either way)
  * Identifying areas of the webdriver spec that better belong elsewhere

Tuesday:
* Follow up from Monday
* Working on the conformance test suite

If someone with more experience of TPAC or W3C WGs wants to make any
changes (either in part or wholesale), go for it. AFAIAC this is a
strawman agenda.

Cheers,

Simon