Re: New UI for the Test Framework now available

Hi Richard,

I'm returning to your feedback after spending some time working on the project (I refactored the client code to make sure it is maintainable over the long term and hopefully easy to evolve, and added some backend functionality).

One thing I've changed that is useful is that it is now possible to choose between <object> and <iframe> to run tests (this closes bug 14882).

On Jul 3, 2012, at 10:50 , Richard Ishida wrote:
> [0] it seems to take a while to draw the page - any prospect of that improving?

This was due to the results page loading a large data set (all results for that suite, with metadata). Such data granularity can definitely be useful for some reports, but is clearly overkill for many (including I believe for what you're trying to generate on your end).

I've now added a result-summary function to the JSON API. You can access it in the same way as the results except that you need to use "result-summary" instead of "result" in the URI. I've also added it to the docs.

The page is now much faster to load (at least for me, if you're still seeing problems please give me specific URLs).

> [1] please make the cursor change to pointer when you enable the links

I already do, those happened to be placeholder links to the details view that wasn't implemented. It is now available so you can play with it.

> [2] having the title of the test is useful, but to track things quickly I also need the former test case id. Could we have an extra column for that?

I've actually reverted it to using the test case id, that's what people seem to use almost all the time.

> [3] I'm not sure why the order of columns for the various platforms has changed - this is a problem for me, since I create result page summaries such as http://www.w3.org/International/tests/html-css/character-encoding/results-basics by copy-pasting the text on a page such as http://w3c-test.org/framework/app/suite/i18n-html5/results/scope=full into my pages (and then massage by js).
>
> 	Of course, what I've been really wishing for for some time is a means of obtaining that information via AJAX, so that not only is it easier but the results are always up to date.  I couldn't do it before because I needed to read the source code in and parse it, but it wasn't fully XHTML. I suspect that I might be able to get the information from some API now. Any hints on how to do that?

As I said in my previous reply, this should all just work now. Let me know how Geek Week goes with this!

> [4] the contrast of text on the coloured background isn't very high - i have to squint a little, particularly with the blue on green/red.

I've made them black and slightly larger — it's the combination that I found easiest to read.

> [5] it would be useful to retain the page title (eg. i18n HTML5 Results) so that I know what I'm looking at when returning to the page or fipping between open windows.

The title now changes with every view.

> [6] please add back a link at the bottom of the page to  bugzilla - very useful in the past. Also links to the author are probably useful.

There is now a glorious footer with lots of useful information.

> [7]  on pages like http://w3c-test.org/framework/app/suite I'd rather have the buttons on the left, since they can be a long way off on the right, and I need to check I'm still on the right line.

Wish granted!