Re: Use of ES5 features in teatharness.js

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:49:11 -0400
To: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Cc: public-html-testsuite@w3.org, public-test-infra@w3.org
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:21 PM, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com> wrote:
> Will anyone have a problem if we start using ES5 features in testharness.js?
> It will allow more precise testing of some WebIDL stuff. I think all
> browsers ship ES5 implementations these days so there shouldn't be a problem
> with compatibility.

As far as I'm aware, released versions of Opera do not have full
support for ES5.  E.g.,

data:text/html,<!doctype html><script>alert("keys" in Object)</script>

alerts "false" in Opera 11.50 (although "true" in recent
Chrome/Firefox), and "Check For Updates" tells me this is the latest
version.  Object.keys is defined in ES5:

http://es5.github.com/#x15.2.3.14

I don't object to using any features that are supported by the latest
version of every major browser.  I already do so in my tests, so it
won't affect me if testharness.js does too.