Re: Proposed pre-selected sessions

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Three parties requested pre-selected sessions before the deadline:
>
>         • Web Intents and Web Intents for local services
>         • Testing
>         • Smarter Webapps for Smarter Phones
>
> I propose we:
>
>  a) Say yes to those that requested.
>  b) Mark them as such in the wiki.
>
> Unless there are objections, I'll let people know on Monday.

I object, as I did in previous email.

As observed in the minutes, with the experience last year, people will
have no problem proposing sessions on day of, and I'd rather avoid
showing any kind of apparent (even if unintended) topic-focus implied
by preselection, especially with so few pre-selection proposals.

I'd rather go with no preselected proposals rather than rubberstamping
a few by default just because there were so few proposals.

The proposers of these are welcome to do so in-person at the Tech
Plenary. I have a feeling that the latter two in particular may
overlap with others' proposals (those topics come up a lot in web
developer discussions) and thus it would be better to have them
combined with similar proposals in real-time.

Thanks,

Tantek