Re: [W3C TCP and UDP Socket API]: Status and home for this specification

On 2015-04-02 11:46, Nilsson, Claes1 wrote:

> Thanks for all replies to my mail below.
>
> To address the “security/webapp permission to use the API”- issue I see the following alternatives:
>
> 1.Keep as is: This means that the way permission is given to a webapp to use the API is not defined by the TCP and UDP Socket API, only methods to request permission and to check if permission is given are defined and the implementation of the security/permission system depends on the web runtime in which the API is implemented. See section 4 to 8 in the specification: http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/tcp-udp-sockets/#security-and-privacy-considerations. As far as I understand this approach would make the API implementable in legacy web runtimes such as FFOS, Chrome Apps and Tizen and in “Webviews” used in by hybrid native-web apps in which the security model is defined by the native environment.
>
> Currently the API is not implementable in the normal open web browser but may be in the future? If the web is going to evolve as a capable application environment general solutions on the security issues with exposing more powerful APIs must be solved.

That's the #1 problem; this is not recognized as high-priority mission.
In fact, the only activity I'm aware of are various efforts locking down browsers even more, leaning web developers in a very disadvantaged position position compared to their "App"-developing cousins.

Anyway, SysApps at least terminated "in style" :-)

WebCrypto.Next with hardware security on the menu OTOH did not :-(
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-security/2015Feb/0034.html

Regarding permissions, I remain unconvinced that they address this issue in a reasonable way. An Android "App" may ask for access to the Internet as well as to "Contacts".  IMO, this has limited value for the end-user since the App may send your contacts to a server somewhere which probably isn't what you expected or wanted. Obviously we need a model where the code is "vetted" for DoingTheRightThing(tm).

Anders