Re: Raw Socket API

On 2014-03-31 19:51, Dave Raggett wrote:

> On 31/03/14 18:38, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>> On 2014-03-31 18:29, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>

>> Hi Marcos,
>>
>> I think the core issue here (for me...) is that the draft doesn't elaborate
>> on the trust model.  IMO, that should be a prerequisite for all WebAPIs
>> ( https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebAPI ) because they
>> are actually rather different.  Geo-location is essentially a user privacy
>> thing while networks usually have "concerned parties" in both ends.
>>
>> In a nutshell: I'm not able to tell which end (or mode) the Raw Socket API
>> draft is trying to protect by requiring a trusted application.  This
>> may very well be due to limited understanding on my side :-(
>
> Just to let you all know that I am planning on writing a white paper on
> the security model for SysApps and hope to be able to introduce this at
> next week's face to face.

That's great!  I hope you don't mind me bringing up our "old friend" (the SE API),
which I believe have yet another trust/security/privacy model?  The core issue
is that the opaque channel between the two parties disables the UA from its usual
monitoring function which contrasts to the two SE API "challengers" SKS and U2F
which keep the UA in the loop all the time and therefore do not need the (IMHO
somewhat problematic) protection offered by user-installed trusted applications.

Regards,
Anders