Permissions UI & Necessary API

From: Doug Reeder <reeder_29@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:39:13 -0400
To: public-sysapps@w3.org
If you haven't read it, Brenden Mulligan's article on "The Right Way To Ask Users For iOS Permissions" lays out what I would consider to be current best practice (for all systems, not just iOS): http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/04/the-right-way-to-ask-users-for-ios-permissions/

Currently, there is a huge divide between app permission UI and system permission UI. Asking the user twice is suboptimal.  I think the best UI would be a system dialog, with a box containing text from the app explaining what application task the permission is needed to accomplish.  That would require an API with a field to pass a plain text string.

Doug Reeder
reeder_29@yahoo.com

https://twitter.com/hominidsoftware
http://hominidsoftware.com