Re: Questionnaire for the proposed meeting on trusted applications

On April 18, 2014 at 2:13:29 PM, Dave Raggett (dsr@w3.org) wrote:
> I have prepared a questionnaire to gather data as part of preparations
> for the proposed meeting on trusted applications for the Open Web
> Platform. The questionnaire is open to all members of the System
> Applications Working Group. I plan to post anonymised aggregated
> results when the questionnaire closes. By default, the answers will only
> be available to the W3C Team, but you can indicate if you are willing to
> share your answers more widely.
>
> The first part of the questionnaire seeks to gather data on
> implementation plans for work items, along with interest in widespread
> deployment of support for these items. The second part is based upon
> the statements Anssi posed to the group at the recent face to face meeting.
>
> The questionnaire is open through the end of Friday 2nd May 2014. You
> can provide your answers at:
>
> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/58119/sysapps20140418/
>
> Many thanks for your cooperation.

Few more comments...

This question is very leading: "Do you agree that web apps need access to more advanced capabilities and features than they currently have? Please provide details in the text box below."

Because the answer is always "yes".

Better would be something like: "which use cases are currently not being addressed by the capabilities and features of the platform?"

The same with Question 7. Of course people agree - there is also two questions in 1. You need to write these questions like this: "Which of these statements do you agree with..."

This is also extremely leading, complicate, and ambiguous:

"Do you agree that App Manifest is a one of the preconditions for apps to gain access to richer capabilities than are normally available to apps on the Open Web Platform?"

It presupposes a technology as a solution to a much larger societal problem (limited technical literacy). The two are unrelated. It leaves the reader wondering what the other preconditions are?

Question 10:

"Do you agree with the need for upfront user consent for permissions when an app is installed or first run?"

Is not really an agree or disagree question (or it really doesn't matter if the respondent agrees as it's not really a matter of opinion from people in this WG that is of value). The only real way to test this question is have *real* users install a real application (on Android), then ask them a few minutes later if they recall what permissions they granted to the application, what is their perceived implications of those permissions, and if they can show you how to revoke those permissions. Anything else doesn't help us.

Question 12 should really be:

"What role, if any, do you see for digital signatures on the Open Web Platform?"

(I'll also add that there is no such thing as a "hosted app" on the Web platform - only in proprietary ecosystems).