RE: Discussing security model of sysapps

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 15:57:04 -0400
To: POTONNIEE Olivier <olivier.potonniee@gemalto.com>, GALINDO Virginie <virginie.galindo@gemalto.com>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Cc: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, Wonsuk Lee <wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com>, "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>

On April 1, 2014 at 11:39:08 AM, POTONNIEE Olivier (olivier.potonniee@gemalto.com) wrote:
> > You say:
> > ... there is a general consensus on using a
> > manifest for the web app's metadata. Browsers can download
> this along
> > with the rest of the app's components, avoiding the need for
> packaging.
>
> There is not interoperable way to do this. The manifest is not
> sufficient, unless we add additional data in it, to download
> the full set of application's resources. What is a "packaged"
> app and how to download it is not specified.

Functionally, a packaged application is the same as a web application. It is a URL space whose resources are scoped to what is available inside a zip file. If the application can access resources outside its origin (i.e., outside of app://), that is controlled via CSP. That's all pretty well specified, AFAIK.

Can you explain what use cases are missing? Or what is not covered? Preferably, please use an example as I have trouble when things get too abstract.

--
Marcos Caceres