RE: Request to summarize overall `state` of each spec

Hi all,

The current status for the Raw Socket API, http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/raw-sockets/, is as follows:

* Changes since the Toronto F2F:

- Binding a socket to a local interface when it is not specifically specified (https://github.com/sysapps/raw-sockets/issues/36 ):
Clarified the dependency between remote address and the local interface used. When a local interface isn't specified for a socket the one it is assigned is derived from looking up the remote address in the routing table and taking the address of the interface with the most preferred route to the remote address.

- An number of miscellaneous updates (https://github.com/sysapps/raw-sockets/pull/49 ), Nagle algorithm, removed halfClose event, description of "loopback" attribute, etc.

- Marcos fixed examples 1 and 2 to make them easier to follow and to remove try/catch code (https://github.com/sysapps/raw-sockets/pull/48 ).

* Open issues and next steps:

- Support for secure sockets (https://github.com/sysapps/raw-sockets/issues/10 and https://github.com/sysapps/raw-sockets/issues/35 ).
We still need to define the options for secure connections that should be available to define for web applications.

- Base this API on Streams (https://github.com/sysapps/raw-sockets/issues/57 )?

Marcos has mediated contacts with network people in the node.js community to get their view on the Raw Socket API. They are keen on the idea, but their main comment is that they suggest to base the API on the Streams API. See https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/streams-api/raw-file/tip/Overview.htm and https://github.com/whatwg/streams .
I am currently investigating the ongoing work on Streams and I plan to propose a possible design of the Raw Socket API based on Streams. This would mean a significant change of the socket API and I have therefore so far refrained from executing the remaining 12 Github issues (most of them rather small) on this API.

Best regards
  Claes