Re: View modes and sizes, was Re: Application window state and size

On Thu, 09 May 2013 17:33:04 +0200, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
wrote:

> On 25/04/13 16:10, Marcos Caceres wrote:

>> With regards to width and height, we will need those for the "floating"
>> case. But they only serve as a *hint* for the preferred width and
>> height when the app starts up.  I don't think we should add other
>> window positioning information (leave that to the window manager).
>
> "width" and "height" information would be needed for the "floating" and
> the "windowed" modes, right?
>
> I would prefer to specify "viewModes" if we also fix that. There are a
> lot of stuff that could be defined here like the minimum size the window
> would accept to be in, the maximum maybe? Definitely the preferred size.
> If the three are the same, the UA should know that the window can't be
> resized for example.

As Marcos says, they are a hint. If your phone is 3 pixels narrower than
the minimum size, you are going to render the thing anyway and let the
standard go he.

> What about:
> "viewSize": { "width": { "min": x, "pref": x, "max": x },
>               "height": { "min": y, "pref": y, "max": y} }

I think that introduces complications that user agents are not going to
respect strictly, that authors are going to use to be more prescriptive
than they probably should, and that in the end will not be very useful.

So I suggest we don't bother...

cheers

Chaals