Re: Runtime and Security Model: auto-trigger installation of hosted apps

On 2013-07-23 18:06, POTONNIEE Olivier wrote:
> Hi
>
> The Runtime and Security Model specification only defines a programmatic
> API to trigger installation of an application (using
> ApplicationRegistry.install()).
This has been discussed a bit here:
https://github.com/sysapps/runtime/issues/92

> Although this model suits the packaged application model, which can only
> be accessed when explicitly installed, it is less convenient for hosted
> applications, that may be accessed while navigating in a browser.
> Wouldn’t it be pertinent to define a way by which a UA could detect the
> presence of the manifest and automatically offer the user to install the
> application? This would avoid the need for the app to include a script
> checking if the app is installed, and triggering installation if not.
>
> The Runtime and Security Model specification could define a meta tag
> name (eg “sysapp-manifest-url”, or simpler “app-manifest”) that could be
> inserted in any html page within the sys app origin. For instance:

> content="https://app.domain.net/path/to/manifest.webapp">
We are already workin on this. SysApps WG passed the manifest work to
WebApps WG. This is being now discussed there, for example:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2013AprJun/0639.html

--
Janusz Majnert
Samsung R&D Institute Poland