Re: WebApps and SysApps Boundaries [Was: Re: Proposals received]

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:37:09 +0400, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
wrote:

> Hi Adam, Wonsuk, All,
>
>  > From: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
>  > Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:47:33 -0800
>
>  > It sounds like the next step here is for Wonsuk and me to talk with
>  > the WebApps chairs to make sure we're not going to step on their toes
>  > by issuing a call for consensus to publish Mounir's proposal as a
>  > FPWD.
>

> Speaking as a WebApps Chair, I agree with Mike's opinion (as expressed
> in [1]) that SysApps should use its own list(s) for all of its specs and
> none of WebApps' lists should be used. I would even take it a bit
> further and recommend the groups' four Chairs enforce that separation
> (after all, WG charters include scope for good reasons including
> localizing IP concerns for Members).

Agreed.

> One possible exception is the application packaging format. WebApps does
> indeed have a related deliverable but as Mike noted, the scope of that
> spec is very narrow [3]. Based on a quick scan of Mounir's proposal [2],
> it appears SysApps' manifest spec today is intertwined with a lot of
> other features besides a packaging format (e.g. application management,
> application life cycle, updates, permissions, etc.). As such, I think
> the scope of the current spec is too broad for joint work with WebApps.
> However, if SysApps' packaging format was spit off to a separate more
> narrow spec that is closely aligned with WebApps' deliverable, it could
> make sense for the two groups to collaborate on that one feature.
>
> I haven't talked to Chaals about this thread so I don't know his
> position.

As chair, I don't mind where the work is done. More than just the app
format work is already chartered in Webapps than Mike suggests, but I
don't think that really matters - it is more a question of where the work
is being done, and I don't see a lot of value in having it happen in two
places at once.

If it is done in Sysapps, then it might as well just stay there.

As a Yandex rep I would appreciate notices to the Web Apps group when new
work is done in this area - ie calls for review more frequently than just
at last call.

cheers

Chaals