From: Michal Mocny [mailto:mmocny@google.com]
Sent: den 9 januari 2013 17:17
To: Nilsson, Claes1
Cc: public-sysapps@w3.org
Subject: Re: SysApps Raw Socket API

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Nilsson, Claes1 <Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com<mailto:Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com>> wrote:
I have submitted a proposal for a raw socket API: http://sysapps.github.com/sysapps/proposals/raw-socket/Socket.HTML.

The proposal is based on the Chrome Socket API, http://developer.chrome.com/apps/socket.html.

Comments:

*        This use of a Socket object, for which a set of methods is defined, is different from the Chrome Socket API, which uses a "socket id" as input parameter in all methods. An alternative would be to define a Socket interface constructor so that a Socket object for example is created with mySocket = new Socket ('tcp');. WDYT?
I like the suggestion to use an interface constructor.

*        Do we need both the disconnect() and destroy methods() ?
I assume it is important to leave both, for efficiency and api consistency reasons.  Consider create() and connect() as parallels to disconnect() and destroy(), if you do not suggest merging the former two, why consider merging the latter?
However, perhaps a call to destroy() could imply a call to disconnect() since the common case would have clients doing that.

*        So far support for server sockets through the methods listen() and accept() has been omitted. Not sure on use cases for server sockets.
 Peer-to-peer applications, game servers, etc etc.  There are very many use cases.

*        I defined "CreateOptions" to support multicast use cases (UPnP SSDP etc) but I am not sure what is needed here. WDYT?

Sorry for missing the Jan 1 deadline.

Best regards
  Claes

[cid:image001.gif@01CDEF47.77E86D90]

Claes Nilsson M.Sc.E.E
Master Engineer, Research
Technology Research - Advanced Application Lab

Sony Mobile Communications
 Phone:  +46 10 80 15178<tel:%2B46%2010%2080%2015178>
Mobile: +46 705 56 68 78<tel:%2B46%20705%2056%2068%2078>
Switchboard: +46 10 80 00000<tel:%2B46%2010%2080%2000000>
E-Mail: mailto:claes1.nilsson@sonymobile.com<mailto:claes1.nilsson@sonyericsson.com>
Visiting Address; Nya Vattentornet
SE-221 88 LUND,
Sweden
Disclaimer:
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the named recipient(s) and access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. The views are those of the sender and not necessarily the views of Sony Ericsson and Sony Ericsson accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever or howsoever arising in connection with this e-mail.Any attachment(s) to this message has been checked for viruses, but please rely on your own virus checker and procedures. If you contact us by e-mail, we will store your name and address to facilitate communications. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying this transmission and delete the e-mail and any copies of it without disclosing it.