RE: Selecting a time for a teleconference, time shifted distributed meetings, and offers for hosting face to face meetings

Hi all,

On 2 ene 2013 at 14:52:42, Wonsuk Lee wrote:
> Hi. Dave and all.
>
> Dave Raggett wrote on January 01, 2013 3:26 AM:
>> Now that the Jan 1 deadline for phase 1 proposals is upon us, we will need
>> to start work in earnest.  Finding a mutually convenient time for
>> teleconferences will be challenging as sysapps participants are scattered
>> across North America, Europe and Asia, e.g. 8am in California, is 5pm in
>> Europe, midnight in Shenzhen, and 1am in Seoul and Tokyo.
>
> This is too complicated issue and now I don't have any idea. So for me, this
> is not too bad because probably I can go to sleep at 2am ;)
>
>> We could even out the pain by rotating timeslots, so that a weekly call
>> takes place at the same time every three weeks.  None of the W3C working
>> groups that have tried it have stuck with this model as it is just too
>> confusing.
>
> To me, I prefer to fix the schedule than rotate it.
>
>> We could also plan on relatively frequent face to face meetings, as
>> this would make it possible to make a lot of progress quickly. For that
>> I am looking for volunteers to host meetings.  This seems like a matter
>> of urgency as the working group gets up to speed. January 2013 is too
>> short notice. What do people think about February (week of Monday 4th,
>> or Monday 18th), or March (week of Monday 4th or Monday 25th)? Not
>> everyone would need to attend every meeting, but there would need to be
>> a core of people present who are involved in working on the phase 1
>> proposals.
>
> I agreed that we have f2f meeting soon because we got most of proposals.
> For the location, I hope the first F2F meeting is held in the Silicon
> valley or San Francisco area because active members of the group is in
> there.

I agree it would be good to have a F2F rather soon. I have a conflict the week of February 18th, but for instance the weeks of February 4th or March 4th look fine to me.

Telefonica could host the meeting in Madrid (subject to room availability once we know the dates and approximate number of attendants).

>> A further idea is to use Google Docs for time shifted distributed
>> meetings. Adam and Wonsuk would create a fresh agenda each week with
>> the pending actions, and a brief description for each agendum.
>> Participants would then record their presence by adding themselves to
>> the list of participants, add details of progress on their actions, and
>> respond to the various agenda items as these are worked upon by the
>> participants.  The meeting could last for 48 hours to give everyone a
>> chance to respond. The Chairs would add new actions and chase people
>> who fail to respond in a timely manner.
>
> I am not sure this could be working well in the longtime, because of
> complicated schedule.

It does not look very promising to me (perhaps due to not having tried it yet).

> Best regards,
> Wonsuk.
>
>> We also have email and the associated web archive, as well as the W3C IRC
>> server for the sysapps chat channel (#sysapps on irc.w3.org port 6665).
>> There are many good IRC clients and you can also use a web browser, e.g.
>> just try http://irc.w3.org/ and type your nick name  and #sysapps for the
>> channel then connect. Finally, we have the wiki.
>>
>> Your comments please!
>>
>> --
>> Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at: