RE: Contacts API

Hi Wonsuk,

From: Wonsuk Lee [mailto:wonsuk73@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:25 PM
To: Suresh Chitturi
Cc: EDUARDO FULLEA CARRERA; wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com; Adam Barth; public-sysapps@w3.org
Subject: Re: Contacts API

Hi. Suresh and all.
Concerning to co-ordination issues on overlap areas btw DAP and SysApps WG, I sent a feedback to DAP WG like [1]. So far I didn't get any comment, so I would like to bring Contacts API spec to FPWD.
But before that, I would like to get feedback for below comments in [1] from the groups (esp. editors of this spec). What do you think?

Suresh>> Not being a member of Sys Apps group, I would let the editors comment first, but generally there is a strong interest/support on the DAP side for harmonization of the contact formats and semantics. The current contact format in DAP (independent of intents or non-intents approach) is the outcome of many prior discussions and viewed to be the best way forward without creating a dependency on a specific underlying formats but instead taking a "minimum subset' approach that can be implemented on top of underlying implementations (of course with an extensible mechanism). Contact formats in general is a moving target and therefore basing the APIs on a single format might be risky path!

<comments>

In particular, regarding Contacts, we may want to
(a) make sure that the data formats and meaning are consistent (fo interoperability)
(b)  ask whether similar APIs across two groups should share a common API style  and practices [2] and maybe even details apart from optional parameters or intentionally be different (whether it is better to enable commonality or make clear distinctions)
</comments>

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Feb/0067.html

[2] API checklist, http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ApiCheckList

Best Regards,