Re: Contributions and editing process with sysapps repository

On 21/02/13 09:44, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Hi Mounir,
>
> a few notes about using GH for this.
>
> On 20/02/2013 21:48 , Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>> - we no longer use master but only gh-pages (to reduce the amount of
>> overhead);
>
> Note that you can make gh-pages the default branch instead of master.
> That has the advantage that it's what people will then go to directly,
> it's what any clone or fork will be set to automatically, and most
> important of all it will make it the branch against which by default the
> PRs will come (otherwise you'll get confused merging things if you
> forget to check the branch against which the PR was made).

Indeed, goes without saying that by saying "no longer use master branch"
I meant that we should get ride of it otherwise, the confusion would be
even higher.

>> - as soon as a specification goes to FPWD, we should move it to a
>> repository in the root;
>
> Do you mean move out of proposals and go to a directory at the root of
> the sysapps repo, or to a repo of its own under the sysapps organisation?
>
> I recommend the latter. You will be much better off with separate repos
> for each deliverable. Especially if you use branches, or if you want to
> tag releases (which is a good idea IMHO). You also want to avoid having
> too many people using the same repo for different products: down that
> path lies merge conflicts, generally on things that you're not in charge
> of.
>
> The only problem is that you lose history from the proposal. I don't
> think that's a big deal, you can always point to it.

It could indeed be better to have the proposal in its own repository. It
might make the permission management easier (aka. give the integrator
the merging rights).

>> - at least one person per specification should be given write access to
>> the sysapps github repository;
>
> The editor, presumably.

The 'integrator' actually. There might be multiple editors. (I believe
that a system with one editor is most of the time simpler but I do not
think we will get any consensus on that.)

>> - issues should be opened directly in the sysapps repository;
>
> That's cool, but keep in mind that you then won't get the trackbot
> integration. I think that's fine, but it's an aspect to consider.

TBH, I hate GH issues. I'm only recommending that because it will be
likely easier to have everything at the same place. I would prefer using
bugzilla but I guess it will make things harder for one-time
contributiors. Anyway, I don't care much.

--
Mounir