Re: question about screen_size in Runtime and Security Model

Hi Marcos,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 21 February 2013 at 07:23, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Lars Knudsen <larsgk@gmail.com (mailto:
> larsgk@gmail.com)> wrote:

> http://mounirlamouri.github.com/sysapps/proposals/RunTime-Security/Overview.html

> what is
> web
> tags
> I am
> screen_size

> right",
> pixels"
> device
> cases,
> sure
> only
> etc.)

> > > Please see my postscript that seemed to have been deleted from the
> reply:
> > > "PS Yes, I know there will be differences in aspect ratio - but this
> > > *could* be fixed either by just enforcing one of the sizes (width or
> height)
> > > or by simply having empty black space around."
> >

> > Sure, but I think my question still stands. Is there really a time
> > when the black frame behavior is desirable?
> >
> > I don't really understand how the "enforce one of the sizes" would
> > work. Can you explain?

> > > Well - that is true. However, none of the browser vendors seem to have
> made
> > > their browsers ready
> > > for simple apps and games with this little thing just yet.
> >

> > I don't think that browsers are more willing to implement a features
> > such as this just because it's proposed as part of the manifest as
> > opposed to as part of CSS. My experience is that browser developers
> > are more willing to implement well designed features, even if they are
> > a bit more work to implement.
> >
> > > Of course, there might be a larger push for it
> > > as the whole industry now seems to converge on HTML(5) for
> RealApps(TM).
> >

> Maybe the @viewport CSS rule could help…
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-device-adapt/#the-atviewport-rule
>
> Random thought (and possibly a crappy hack…but): I'm wondering if one
> could use something like the full screen API to achieve what you are
> describing?
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/DOM/Using_fullscreen_mode
>
> You could fullscreen an HTML element based on a virtual viewport size,
> then adjust an element inside that to fit. Didn't try it, but you never
> know; might work.

I will try to do some more experimentation.  However, it seems odd to me
that this should (still) be so hard.

Including www-style to see if someone there can tell me if it's already
possible, a good idea for simplifying development ... or just me being
silly ;)

To quote the relevant part from the thread:

*****
Like it's possible via tricks on iPad now - by giving a list of
min/max/initial scales = 1 and width="my desired virtual pixel width"
in the viewport meta tag. Combining this with some touch/mouse event
stealing surface will *almost* get you what you need:

A plain and simple:  "give me a game surface to put objects on with this
width (and width/height ratio) - and don't try to think
you know what else I want"

For avg joe developers, it would be nice with a simple:
 viewport="width=640, height=480, fit-to-screen=true, keep-aspect=true,
user-scalable=no, panning=off"
(could be made even more simple)

******

br