Re: Background sync & push messaging: declarative vs imperative

For developers I think the imperative approach would be easier to grasp and
more flexible. The declarative approach can probably do everything that the
imperative API could do, but I fear it will end up with developers hacking
around the limitations of using the declarative API of push notifications
and caches files to handle info when the page is open.

The two approaches outlined here seem comparable to AppCache and
ServiceWorker.

While security is a concern with the imperative approach, I can't see how
an attacker could run a background service without the user visiting their
site.....

A permission pop-up of some sort should be the first barrier to setting up
push-notifications and background services.

Requiring a user-interface for un-throttled push notifications seems
unusual, I have no problem flagging bad behaviour to a user (i.e. this site
is sending X number of pushes a minute), but there may be scenarios where
the users expects and wants that behaviour.

My only other concern is around this *"**we could either silently throttle
precisely scheduled tasks if it turns out they’re not showing
notifications"* I

Regards,
Matt

--