DataStore, applied in Messaging, Telephony (and Contacts) API

From: Kis, Zoltan <zoltan.kis@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:25:57 +0300
To: "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, EDUARDO FULLEA CARRERA <efc@tid.es>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA <jmcf@tid.es>, ch.dumez@sta.samsung.com
Hello,

Here is an attempt to use the DataStore concept in Messaging:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/un9XkdXeKh

For Call History, there are no changes needed. The Telephony spec
describes the structure of the call history, and the DataStore
interface provides access to it.

Also, although I am not editor for Contacts API, I played with the
idea of using DataStore there, too:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/R2Xrl2253o

Thinking through the use cases with Messaging and Contacts, I propose
small modifications to DataStore:
(see https://etherpad.mozilla.org/whatever-you-want, changes marked)
- use a new 'type' property, describing the type of the storage, e.g.
"contacts", "messaging", "call-history", "email", "im", etc (i.e. take
over the semantics of the former 'name' property)
- use the 'name' property with a changed semantics, denoting a
particular instance of the type of DataStore in question, e.g.
"addressbook1", "sim1-contacts", "facebook-contacts", "sms1", "mms",
"email-gmail-myusername", "email-yahoo-anotherusername", etc. Note
that this is orthogonal to partitioning the data over services (it is
possible, but not necessary).

I think with these changes DataStore could be safely used for
Messaging and Contacts, satisfying the use cases both in FxOS and
Tizen.

Please advise whether is this a path we should apply to Messaging [,
Telephony, and Contacts].

Best regards,
Zoltan