Toronto F2F Task Force proposal - background feature (aka Event Pages, Shared Workers)

From: Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:55:52 +0000
To: "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>
Hi,

I'd like to propose a session about the "background feature" (related to event pages, shared workers) in the context of the Runtime model for the Wednesday's task force [1]. And if there's more interest (and I hope there is!), continue the discussion over to the Thursday's Runtime session.

As our contribution to this discussions, together with Kenneth we drafted a proposal dubbed "Application Lifecycle and Events":

  http://anssiko.github.io/runtime/app-lifecycle.html

The proposal discusses use cases we think are important, and described one possible model for this "background feature". After carefully reviewing the current Runtime spec, we think that a functionally equivalent model to background/event pages would address many of the open issues and use cases that are currently unaddressed by the current Runtime spec.

I'm happy to see that also Mozilla [2] seems to be supportive of adopting such a model for the Runtime spec.

Looking forward to a productive F2F in Toronto. See you all next week!

Thanks,

-Anssi

[1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/System_Applications:_2nd_F2F_Meeting_Agenda#Agenda
[2] https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/kbBbordYkjk/uEiInvu4iekJ