Re: Toronto F2F agenda

Hi. Zoltan.
Thanks a lot for good proposal.

2013/8/23 Kis, Zoltan <zoltan.kis@intel.com>

> Dear Chairs,
>
> I would like to ask whether would it make sense to discuss some
> generic design options/patterns (met e.g. during Telephony API
> development) in a separate session placed early in the agenda, maybe
> called "best practices", concerning consistent ways to deal with the
> following topics across the API's (both WebIDL and JavaScript):
>
> - promises + asynchronous issues
> - system messages /wakeup
> - constructors vs factory methods
> - (short) dynamic/volatile object list representation, e.g. with
> sequence, array, object + change notification events
>
> - using optional method arguments (shorter spec) vs proper (flexible
> and extensible) encapsulation of functionality in objects (aka using
> service identifiers in methods, or explicit service objects, at least
> in Messaging and Telephony, but the pattern could be applied in any
> API dealing with online services). While the optimal choice may vary
> across API's, it would be good to review such design options and
> perhaps establish a recommended order of preference.

I agree on this. In addition, I think Web API Design Cookbook [1] doc would
be helpful for this discussion.
But issue is slot for this. so my proposal is how about setting up early
morning session before 9:00.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/api-design/

Kr, Wonsuk.

- add further topics.

> This would help offloading generic issues from the Telephony API
> discussion (even after this, there are enough issues left to fill the
> session).
>
> Best regards,
> Zoltan
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just put a proposal for an agenda in the wiki:
> >
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/System_Applications:_2nd_F2F_Meeting_Agenda#Agenda
> >
> > As you can see, this agenda is quite different from the previous F2F. I
> > would like to reduce the time we spend on each specification and instead
> > of going trough many details, I think it would be great if, for every
> > specifications, we do a status update and discuss the currently
> > outstanding issues. Ideally, members should have prepared questions and
> > issues to raise, already filed in the specification bug tracker.
> >
> > You will see an item named "DataStore API". During the last F2F, Mozilla
> > expressed concerns about the Messaging and Contacts API exposing data
> > that could be updated and wanted a generic way to handle that sort of
> > problems. This API is solving this issues as far as Mozilla is
> > concerned. I will make sure to send documentation about this API before
> > the F2F.
> >
> > On Wednesday afternoon, I would like the group to split into two parts
> > that will work on different APIs. That will allow the members to go into
> > detailed discussions on some APIs, solve issues and get things done.
> > This is an experiment and depending on how it goes, we might do that
> > with more groups or a longer period next time.
> >
> > Finally, there will be a F2F dinner on Wednesday. I will send more
> > information about this in another email.
> >
> > Please, let me know if you have any comment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Mounir

ÀÌ ¿ø ¼® (Wonsuk, Lee) / Principal Engineer, Ph.D
SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS Co., LTD. (ß²àøï³í­)
Mobile: +82-10-5800-3997
E-mail: wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com, wonsuk73@gmail.com
http://www.wonsuk73.com/, twitter: @wonsuk73
Inspire the World, Create the Future !!!