Re: Assuming app locale support from the manifest

We couldn't be *sure* but that's not as critical as it sounds.  As long
as the developer is aware of the assumption (having the locale key means
supporting the locale), they ignore it to the detriment of their own
ratings and reviews.  If a person buys an app with Spanish metadata and
the entire app is in German their next steps are refund (if possible)
and then to give it a poor review.

We won't have a perfect solution here just because there are degrees of
localization.  As you mentioned, someone could localize only part of the
strings, or even all of the strings but none of the number formats or
currencies.  The idea would be, if they advertise the app in that
language (here, advertise means they localized the name/description)
then they are calling the localization "reasonable" - a word with some
wiggle room anyway.

A new field in the manifest list would be another way of accomplishing
this and one that didn't overload an existing key, however, I'm not sure
what it would accomplish other than making developers add another field
with the same keys in it.  Are there use cases for metadata to be
localized but not the app itself?

The change in manifest causing an app update is unfortunate but a
reality of the app framework.  New languages are an update.  If the
developer is concerned about update fatigue they should push the
language updates out with feature updates - a common paradigm among
other desktop and mobile software already.

Wil