Re: Notification of availability of update. Re: Some comments in Execution and Security Model spec

On 04/18/2013 09:02 PM, Janusz Majnert wrote:

>>>  From my experience of playing Chrome on iOS, it will have a check
>>> and notify user that there is an available update by showing an
>>> infobar.
>>
>> Right, but is this something that should just be handled by the
>> system (i.e., the system can just notify the user at an appropriate
>> time through some UI)? Or does the application need to be notified
>> also through a message or event? What would be the use case for the
>> application being notified of the availability of an update, apart
>> from nagging the user to update the app?
>>
> IMHO this should be handled by the system.
Agree with the this point but I'm a little bit doubt that the following
reasons are very much relevant.
> Please consider these situations:
> - an applicaiton was hacked and the original author released an
> update/fix - the hacked app doesn't display the update information to
> the user
Should system inform user to update a 'hacked' application? Perhaps not
since the application itself is not the original one.
> - an application was hacked and it shows the user an update
> notification - the user, accustomed to these kind of notifications
> from applications downloads/installs another malicious app
Since the application is already hacked, it doesn't make too much
difference to update to a newer hacked version.

Thanks,
Bai