Re: Notification of availability of update. Re: Some comments in Execution and Security Model spec

On 2013-04-18 14:45, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Min, Hongbo wrote:
>>> updated, it could send user a notification to prompt user to restart the app or
>>> not when it is running.
>>> There is some precedence for this. For example, Chrome on iOS displays an
>>> information bar when an update is available in the App Store. I don't know if it's
>>> iOS notifying the application if an update is available or not, or if Chrome is
>>> doing its own checking somehow.
>>
>>  From my experience of playing Chrome on iOS, it will have a check and notify user that there is an available update by showing an infobar.
>
> Right, but is this something that should just be handled by the system (i.e., the system can just notify the user at an appropriate time through some UI)? Or does the application need to be notified also through a message or event? What would be the use case for the application being notified of the availability of an update, apart from nagging the user to update the app?

IMHO this should be handled by the system.
Please consider these situations:
- an applicaiton was hacked and the original author released an
update/fix - the hacked app doesn't display the update information to
the user
- an application was hacked and it shows the user an update notification
- the user, accustomed to these kind of notifications from applications
downloads/installs another malicious app

/Janusz