Re: [sysapps/runtime] cross origin XHR in packaged apps

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Janusz Majnert <jmajnert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
>>> I think we have a perfectly good solution now: CSP + CORS. The problem,
>>> as Ming Jin stated in the first message, is that most servers are not
>>> yet CORS enabled, and even if they are, they will not recognise the
>>> "app://" origins of packaged apps. To make matters worse, we still don't
>>> know how the origin will be constructed, will it identify the application.
>>

>> I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the limitations that you're seeing
>> here.
>>
>> In my experience, CORS-enabling a server, at least for the simple cases that
>> don't require a preflight, is actually fairly simple. Doubly so if you
>> consider that in most cases you want to access an API of some form, which
>> means that the required headers are under programmatic control and therefore
>> relatively easily changed. Sure enough, CORS-exposing static files on a
>> shared server, or coding up preflight checks, can be hard, but I think those
>> are closer to corner cases.
>>
>> As for recognising app: origins I'm not sure what the problem is. We can
>> make the app: authority predictable for a given application if we need to.
>> Beyond that, I don't see what's special about app: that would be a problem
>> to servers.
>
> We are talking about packaged apps that want to use someone else's
> APIs.

Actually, I was mostly talking about a developer wanting to develop a
packaged app that wants to use the developers *own* APIs. I.e. a
developer writing a packaged app, as well as a server which provides
various APIs that the packaged app is intended to use.

/ Jonas