Re: Why unhandled System Messages wait in queue

On 02/04/13 16:43, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> I kinda like this, because it guarantees delivery in all cases without the developer actually needing to interact with the queue or the system messages manager itself. I guess we need to clarify the abstract concept of system messages and guarantee of delivery in the runtime spec.
>
> If you agree, I can file a bug for that.

Sure, I guess we should just change the end of that paragraph:

"System Messages are events sent by the system to an application which
has registered for it before. Those events are different from DOM events
in the sense that they are always originated by the system and that if
the targeted application isn't currently running, it will be started.
In addition, un-handled messages will stay in a queue."

...to add that it will stay in queue, thus guarantee delivery as long as
an attempt is made to get the message. However, for obvious reasons, we
should allow the UA to delete some messages (consider the case of an
application getting hundreds of messages but without a message handler).
So, the delivery isn't really 100% guaranteed: if your application stays
open for a very long time and you were getting a lot of messages, you
might miss quite a lot.

Anyway, please file a bug ;)

--
Mounir