RE: [sysapps/runtime] cross origin XHR in packaged apps

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Raggett [mailto:dsr@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:59 AM
To: Robin Berjon
Cc: public-sysapps@w3.org; John Lyle
Subject: Re: [sysapps/runtime] cross origin XHR in packaged apps

On 02/04/13 16:46, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 02/04/2013 13:30 , Dave Raggett wrote:
>> I would like to hear more about the issues around using signing.
>
> I don't want to cast undue aspersions as to various ways in which
> signing may be used in SysApps.
>
> It's just that as a developer, my experience with anything that has
> required signing (and for which I've been in the loop, as opposed to it
> happening under the hood somewhere) has been nothing short of appalling.
>
> It might be that it's mostly been a tooling issue. Signing is not
> something you would normally do by hand, so it's always tool-leveraged.
> It's therefore possible that my experience (and, I'm sure, that of
> others) stems from the tools being terrible; and it might therefore be
> possible to have non-horrible tools for this.

That should be do-able, however, my own experience with signed XML was
also horrible. Signed JSON might be much easier.

<bryan> My experience with signing tools (e.g. signing and widget packaging tools integrated into Eclipse under WAC) was pretty good. Once setup (easy) the experience was seamless. I never had to manually sign applications, although I know it's possible and not too difficult - but I created scripts for that as needed.