Re: Telephony API, new version

Hi Wonsuk,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:20 AM, Wonsuk Lee <wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com>wrote:

> It seems that Telephony API spec is going to be ready for FPWD. It would be
> better to go there after updated next week. What do you think?

Yes, we aim for FPWD, but I expect there will be a lot of discussions
during the F2F, after which hopefully we'll have the FPWD. The spec in its
current form is not my ideal design, but this is the best we could agree on
so far.

> Do you think all of functions you mentioned are mandatory and basic
> features
> for Telephony API? It would be better if we can develop a spec with only
> mandatory function first and then other functions are covered by second
> round.

Yes,we have considered what are the essential features covered in the FPWD
and what can be left for later rounds.
The main criteria for FPWD is not that it is the best possible, but that it
can evolve to support telephony use cases known today without major break.
In other words,
- basic features are covered (make a call, receive a call)
- nothing but basic functionality is mandated, the rest will be supported
in some systems, others not, but they all should work through the same API
- make sure to discuss the features which may need an API break later if
not considered now, such as:
      - multiple SIM/telephony services support
      - multiparty calls
      - telephony services (USSD, SIM info, Network info, supplementary
services etc).

The latter will likely be in a separate specification (e.g. Telephony
Services), but it should interwork with the Telephony spec and should not
break it when it comes. I have a design proposal for this, but it has not
been discussed yet thoroughly. Since it is a minimal addition, we may
discuss this on the F2F if time permits.

Multi-SIM and multiparty calls are now supported for the FPWD, and I think
we have a working consensus on this now, so most of the work has already
been done. If not supported by an implementation, no problem, but the API
is the same. Apps should be able to tell what services are supported.

Best regards,
Zoltan