Re: Telephony API draft

From: Kis, Zoltan <zoltan.kis@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:37:43 +0300
To: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L" <bs3131@att.com>
Cc: EDUARDO FULLEA CARRERA <efc@tid.es>, "Poussa, Sakari" <sakari.poussa@intel.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>, JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA <jmcf@tid.es>
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L <bs3131@att.com> wrote:

> I suggest if the feature (which I do think is valuable) is removed for now
> we should think about specifying it somehow for compatibility with the
> media stream objects being used in WebRTC and the getUserMedia API. Piping
> two media streams (mic and other party audio) into a mixer object and then
> to a file should I hope be possible using the basic objects and interfaces
> being defined for this. Having a convenience function (like a call log API)
> is useful but we should also look at the other work that's underway with
> similar objectives.

I agree this feature is valuable, and indeed it is better to remove it
until we figure out streaming.
However, recording is not possible to implement on all platforms. WebRTC /
MediaStream can be used in VoIP, but audio for telephony is more complex,
it depends on modem + HW design, and audio SW stack. It is not clear what
it is assumed. Bluetooth profiles (HFP, including hands-free gateway) have
to be supported, preferably an all telephony services. Audio management wrt
resources and accessories has some tricky issues which would be worth
discussing since it leads into middleware details.

Does our work group have a wiki page for use cases and requirements?

The playback interface for recorded calls has been in call history API in
my drafts, but that was not proposed yet, therefore the observation of
Jonas is right. I raised a few questions regarding call history in a
previous email (now all my emails suddenly appeared on the list at once).

Best regards,
Zoltan