Re: Telephony API support for Video Call & Receiving DTMF tones

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Vivek Galatage <vivekgalatage@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank you Eduardo, José and Zoltan for drafting telephony APIs at [1]
>
> I was going through the draft version and had couple of questions noted
> below.

Thank you for the questions and comments.

> 1. Support of video call.
> Does supporting of video call comes within the scope of the above
> draft telephony APIs? Now that there exist media capture API
> getUserMedia etc ([2] although a draft version) I was wondering if
> this should be handled by the telephony APIs? Or do you think that it
> might conflict with WebRTC specification for the video calling purpose
> [3].

We discussed video calls and decided to deal with them separately, and only
after we come to an agreement on how to expose basic telephony
functionality. So, it's coming, and will likely be aligned with MediaStream
and WebRTC :).

> 2. Supporting of receiving and decoding the DTMF tones
> The telephony API in above draft specifies the sendTone() API for
> sending DTMF tones over the wire. Similarly is there a possibility of
> having receiveTone() or equivalent API for receiving and decoding the
> DTMF tones received from the call originator. There exist some
> reference library for android which has similar feature (though [4] is
> not a officially available library, I guess its a third party
> library).

At least I didn't intend adding this API, but try convincing us :).
This API is primarily meant for writing custom dialers,
i.e. (circuit-switched) telephony clients.
Could you describe any use cases for receiving DTMF in a telephony client?

Best regards,
Zoltan

These are just my thoughts. Please let me know your feedback/comments