Suresh

From: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:22:49 -0700
To: public-sysapps@w3.org
Hi public-sysapps,

Before we start on technical work, we should make sure we'll all happy
with the charter.  One concern I have with the draft charter
<http://www.w3.org/2012/05/sysapps-wg-charter.html> is that the list
of deliverables is too long.  I'm worried that this group wouldn't
have sufficient resources and momentum to write 28 high-quality
specifications right out of the gate.  By way of comparison, the
WebApps charter has 16 deliverables and has significantly more
resources and momentum than we do.

Concretely, I think we should pick a handful of deliverables to work
on in the near term and then add more deliverables as we build up
momentum and success.  For example, here's a set of deliverables that
might make sense for the first round:

* Security Model
* Execution Model
* Raw Socket API
* DNS Resolution API
* USB API

It's valuable to work on the security and execution model earlier
rather than later because these documents provide the context for the
balance of the APIs.  Raw sockets, DNS resolution, and USB are good
examples of system-level APIs that should be relatively
non-controversial, letting us demonstrate some early success and build
up momentum.

To reduce re-chartering overhead, we might want to pick another half
dozen deliverables to put in the charter for "phase 2."  We wouldn't
necessarily need to finish all the phase 1 deliverables before moving
on to phase 2, but separating the two will help us focus at the
beginning.

I'm open to suggestions about which deliverables we should tackle
first.  My main desire is to ensure that the working group starts out
focused so that it has some early success.

Adam