Re: poll results

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Monday, June 18, 2012, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> On Jun 15, 2012, at 19:38 , Adam Barth wrote:
>> > On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
>> > Only Two Implementors
>> > ---------------------
>> >
>> > Secure Elements API         1   4   2   3   2
>> > Idle API                    1   2   2   1   2
>> > DNS Resolution API          1   1   2   2   1
>> > Network Interface API       2   1   2   2   2
>> > Resource Lock API           1   1   2   1   2
>> > Serial API                  1   1   2   2   1
>> > Application API             1   1   2   2   2
>>
>> Jonas can confirm for himself, but I think that he made a mistake in
>> answering the question concerning the Application API, due to the fuzziness
>> of the API's description. It corresponds to the system messaging API that he
>> and Mounir have been advocating here.
>
> If "Application API" is indeed for things like an app managing it's own
> lifetime, declaring how/if to be started for incoming messages, managing
> state to deal with things like being shut down due to system being low on
> resources, etc, then I'm definitely interested in both speccing and
> implementing such an API. Don't know if I'd be able to find editing
> resources, but I'd definitely try to.
>
> It's unclear to me how much of stuff like that is an "Application API" vs.
> how much of it is simply part of the "Execution model" which seems agreed
> upon by all to be included in Phase 1.

Yeah, that's something the working group will need to sort out.  My
sense is that at least some of that falls under the execution/runtime
model.

If you'd like to get a sense for one possible scope for the runtime
model, Erik Kay and I have put together a strawman draft:

http://abarth.github.com/sysapps/drafts/runtime.html

Please don't worry about any of the details.  That's all up for
discussion once the working group starts in ernest.

Adam