Re: System Level API spec editors

On 06/05/2012 04:18 PM, Dave Raggett wrote:
> On 05/06/12 14:48, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

>>> The DAP WG discussion on this led to working on separate simple specs
>>> for each sensor, starting with proximity. Web Intents is still
>>> interesting when there is more than one instance of a sensor on a device
>>> or you want to access sensors across the local network or even remote
>>> sensors.
>>
>> So if there is more instance of a sensor the user will have to pick the
>> sensor he/she wants to use? And I'm not sure how using a remote sensor
>> would make sense...
>
> One use case is sensing the temperature in different rooms, your garage
> and garden green house. Today, you can buy wireless sensors for this,
> and why shouldn't they become part of the Web tomorrow, as part of the
> Web of Things?  This is already starting to happen, see e.g.
>
>    https://cosm.com/explore

Clearly, they should be part of the Web. However, I don't see why Web
Intents is the solution.

>> In addition, I was assuming only applications were able to handle an intent.
>> IMO, the API should whether provide a way to access the multiple sensors
>> or just provide an unified value.
>
> The sensor API applies to sensors you have identified (implicitly if
> there is only one). Web Intents provides a framework for identifying
> which sensor you want to use, or do we want to create a separate
> discovery mechanism just for sensors, but if so, why?

Because Web Intents is about "rich integration between web applications"
[1]. It is "a user-initiated action delegated to be performed by a
service" [1]. This is not a discovery API, AFAICT.

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/web-intents/raw-file/tip/spec/Overview.html

Cheers,
--
Mounir