Re: Media Access/Device Storage/Gallery API

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Jungkee Song <jungkee.song@samsung.com>wrote:

> Thanks Steve. Thanks Doug. I looked at your proposals.****
>
> Here are a few discussion points that I would like to bring to the table,
> actually to all the members:****
>
> ** **
>
> 1. Requirements****
>
>   - Locating media storages****
>
>   - Searching media items (filtering and ordering by given metadata)****
>
>   - Exposing and modifying metadata****
>
> ** **
>
> In order to provide media related capabilities to apps, I think the media
> item searching and the metadata manipulation are required functionalities.
> In this sense, although Device Storage API gives good level of abstraction
> and simplicity, it might not cover some of the necessary use cases. In
> that, I am sort of leaning on [1] and [3] approaches more.

Since the Media File Systems proposal is on the list, then I agree.  But
seriously, I think that dealing with metadata (extracting, editing, and
searching) will be a useful aspect of the interface and will enable a large
variety of consumers of the API.  The Media Content API is fairly similar
to an earlier version of the Media File System API - before the file system
part was added.

> 2. Scope****
>
>   (A) local storage (including external usb device, etc.)****
>
>   (B) remote media resource (clouds)****
>
> ** **
>
> (A) seems to be apparent [1][2][3].****
>
> For (B), I suppose it is a very useful use case to pick remote media
> resource in the cloud-based eco. However, it would not be feasible to make
> one perfect API to resolve all the details.

I agree that B is harder. There are a few concessions toward B in the Media
File System API, enough that B seems feasible with the API.

****