Re: is OWL-s & DAML-S is the same thing?

From: David Martin <martin@AI.SRI.COM>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:59:28 -0800
To: Eman Hossny <e.hossny@gmail.com>
CC: public-sws-ig@w3.org

Hi Eman -

DAML-S was the precursor of OWL-S (similar to the way that DAML+OIL was the precursor of OWL).  When we started working
on DAML-S, OWL did not exist.  Thus, versions 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, and 0.9 of this work were based on (expressed in) DAML+OIL,
and were called DAML-S.  When OWL became available, we converted the ontologies to be expressed in OWL (which required
mostly minor changes), and started calling it OWL-S.  The name OWL-S applies to versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2.

So, DAML-S is obsolete; it has been superseded by OWL-S.

Regards,
David Martin