Re: Planning with Description Logics

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Yang Fangkai wrote:

> Dear Carsten

Hi Fangkai,

>      Thanks for pointing to the link. I have read through this paper and
> an earlier one written by Baader et al in AAAI05. They are really helpful!
>
>    I haven't read too much about earlier results on planning with DL.  It
> seems that in this paper, planning with DL is reduced to DL reasoning, as
> Situational Calculus did, and it is claimed that the paper reports the
> earliest work on combining DL with action formalism. Could you tell me how
> the earlier methods do? Are those only ad-hoc methods in lack of clear
> semantics?

They are not really about planning, but more about arranging plans in a
taxonomy and plan recognition. The following references may get you
started:

@Article{Devanbu-Litman-96,
   author =       "P. T. Devanbu and D. J. Litman",
   title =        "Taxonomic Plan Reasoning",
   journal =      "Artificial Intelligence",
   volume =       "84",
   pages =        "1--35",
   year =         "1996",
}

@InProceedings{kr92*282,
   author =	"Robert Weida and Diane Litman",
   title =	"Terminological Reasoning with Constraint Networks and
 		 an Application to Plan Recognition",
   pages =	"282--293",
   ISBN = 	"1-55860-262-3",
   editor =	"William {Nebel, Bernhard; Rich, Charles; Swartout}",
   booktitle =	"Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on
 		 Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning",
   address =	"Cambridge, MA",
   month =	oct,
   year = 	"1992",
   publisher =	"Morgan Kaufmann",
}

@InCollection{devanbu-litman:1991a,
   author =	"Premkumar Devanbu and Diane J. Litman",
   title =	"Plan-Based Terminological Reasoning",
   booktitle =	"KR'91: Principles of Knowledge Representation and
 		 Reasoning",
   publisher =	"Morgan Kaufmann",
   year = 	"1991",
   editor =	"James F. Allen and Richard Fikes and Erik Sandewall",
   pages =	"128--138",
   address =	"San Mateo, CA",
   topic =	"kr;taxonomic-logics;extensions-of-kl1;kr-course",
}

greetings,
 		Carsten