Re: does SWS standardization need to wait for a rule language?

Hi Jacek and all,

preconditions and effects are quite important, and I think SWS should
provide a simple and compact way to represent them. I did some work to
explore how SPARQL can be used for this purpose, and I think it provides
a good solution.

The idea (in a few lines) is the following. A SPARQL CONSTRUCT query
form can give a compact representation of preconditions and effects:
- the query graph pattern in the WHERE clause defines constraints that
must be satisfied in order to invoke the service (i.e. preconditions);
- the resulting RDF graph (built according to the CONSTRUCT template)
gives a description of the state of the world after the service
invocation (i.e. effects).

I proposed this approach for OWL-S (at the OWL-S workshop at ESWC 2007),
 and you can read details in my paper [1]. The approach is generic, and,
although I've described it for OWL-S, it is not actually tied to any
specific OWL-S construct, and I think it's reusable and effective.

Any comment is welcome.

Best Regards
marco

[1]